Beets are wonderful, and beautiful, and nutritious- and get so little attention. If the title alone has lost you, please, give beets a chance.
I like to have this in the afternoon with a pot of ginger tea.
By the way, nearly all of the recipes I will post will be designed for one person, but you can of course multiply any of these recipes to feed a crowd. This is one that can certainly be a great side dish for your family- perhaps with some roasted pork loin and a side of mixed greens? Talk about an easy meal!
You also might find that you'd like your beets a bit sweeter than I have them here. Feel free to sweeten to taste, but beets really are sweet on their own- and this dish is all about the warm spices. Also, feel free to substitute with your favorite sugar- perhaps white or brown, but I'd avoid using Stevia or honey here. You really need true sugar to create a caramelizing effect with the coconut oil.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Total Time: 12 min.
1 Beet, peeled and sliced
1t Unrefined Coconut Oil (I like Nutiva best)
1t Raw Sugar
1. Peel the beet and slice thinly and evenly; perhaps use a mandoline or the slicer on the side of your box grater. Be careful!
2. Place the slices in a microwave-safe bowl, add 2 T water and cover. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. This flash-steams the beets.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1t unrefined coconut oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the steamed beets to the skillet and toss to coat with the oil. Cook, stirring often, until the beets are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the sugar and toss to coat. Allow the sugar to dissolve, stirring often, about 1 minute. Toss in your spice blend and turn to coat, stirring constantly, until the spices toast and become quite fragrant, about 1-2 more minutes. Everything will begin to thicken up and get "sticky" by this point. Serve.
* You can add your favorite warm spices in any combination. Perhaps try cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, allspice, pumpkin pie spice, or even a bit of cayenne thrown in for kick. Fresh ginger is also great here if you have it.